Top 3 tips to prevent mould in your client’s home
Mould is a dirty word that most of us cringe at when we think about it. No one wants it on their food, let alone in their homes! Mould spreads quickly and is extremely dangerous to our health, causing numerous illnesses.
Health Canada says that people living in homes with mould and damp conditions are more likely to have:
- eye, nose and throat irritation
- coughing and mucous (phlegm) build-up
- wheezing and shortness of breath
- worsening of asthma symptoms
- other allergic reactions
Some people are more vulnerable to the effects of mould than others. This may include children, seniors and people with medical conditions (like asthma and severe allergies). Since some people are more sensitive than others, there is no “safe” limit for mould.
How to prevent mould in your client’s home
The best-case scenario is helping your client prevent mould from ever starting to grow in their home.
Here are 3 tips on how you can prevent mould for homeowners:
- Look at ventilation – It’s important to have proper exhaust fans in bathrooms. They remove moisture and humidity that can lead to structural damage or mould growth. If a bathroom isn’t properly ventilated the moisture from a shower/bath can penetrate into the drywall or structural joists. There are many great energy efficient and quiet fan options now available to offer your clients.
- Reduce humidity – Health Canada recommends homeowners keep humidity low, about 50% in summer and 30% in colder weather. You can suggest your client uses a dehumidifier or air conditioner to reduce humidity levels. You can use a hygrometer (an inexpensive tool available at most hardware stores) to measure humidity.
- Drywall – In recent years, concerns about mould has led to the development of mould-resistant drywall. CertainTeed offers M2Tech for interior walls which features unique technology that combines moisture and mould resistance and is engineered to provide enhanced protection against mould growth. It was recognized by Professional Builder Top 100 products in 2018.
With these tips, you can save your clients from health issues and protect their home from mould for years to come.